This is just the beginning process, but I’m so excited I can’t wait for a full room reveal.
My little man’s room was pretty neutral as a nursery, but as we are preparing for the arrival of number 2 we thought we’d change things up a bit. Here was the nursery prior to his arrival in 2010.
Pretty simple. Striped off-white walls with pops of color. Some home-made wall art, curtains and the dresser/changing table my husband made was about all the personality we added to the room. For my son’s baptism his uber amazing godmother got him this “100 Wishes” quilt.
I am using this quilt to inspire the color and feel to the big boy atmosphere, in addition to a pseudo-headboard (minus the board). So, we selected a steel-blue to paint 3 of the walls (similar to the blue border closest to the words, framed by the orange). Here’s a glimpse of the painted wall color (Please accept my apology for the lack of staging in this post, quickly stole pictures during daylight and between nap times)
Okay- nice, but to me just painting is boring. My most FAVORITE part is what we did to the window wall. I’m sure you’ve seen an abundance of old wood re-used for various purposes. Well, it turns out my dad had some available barn boards from a shed that he was remodeling…are the wheels churning?!?!
You got it. We took out all the old nails and sided the window wall with old barn boards. I was going to wax the boards to make them more smooth but it took too much texture and color out of the wood. Instead my husband just took a rag wiped it down to get all the big snaggy-pieces off (of course snaggy-pieces is a word), and then went over some rough spots with a REALLY fine sandpaper. We put them in my husband’s shop for about a week to make sure they were completely dried out (preventing mold & mildew between the boards and wall is kind of important). In terms of tools and supplies we used: 6 – 8ft barn boards (1 x 6), air compressor, nail gun, finishing nails, saw (compound miter saw), level, tape measure, hammer, step stool pencil and paper. He started by attaching a full board to the biggest space on the wall. Since the dimensions of the wall are about 12′ wide by 9′ high and includes a large window, he only used one full board on the wall.
After that it was just a matter of measuring, cutting and nailing them to the wall. He used a nail gun and finishing nails so you can’t even see the nails, unless you know to look for them. Truthfully, the most time consuming part was cutting the boards to the perfect size to fit all the puzzle pieces together. The trickiest part was preventing the boards from splitting when cutting them to fit. The wood is old and dried, which can lead to some challenges…so plan to have extra boards available.
Another consideration was the pattern that he created. While he could have put all boards of equal size on either side of the window, I wanted some variety in the layout. He cut several small pieces from different boards so the color and texture wasn’t the same throughout the wall. You might notice the variety in color from greys to reds in this next picture. You’ll also see the intentional seams he created to add some variety to the overall pattern. What you probably can’t see from these pictures, are that the barn boards are the same thickness as our white trim, so the wall is now flush with the trim.
Even my little man got in on the fun! (No worries all safety features were on and the air compressor was disconnected making it impossible for him to accidentally shoot any nails- I checked 37 times).
There is so much more coming- stay tuned. In the meantime, don’t mind me while I stop and stare at the wall every moment and smile. Exactly the look I wanted…Exactly 🙂
I know this isn’t as detailed as my usual tutorials, but feel free to ask questions. I’d be more than willing to elaborate if you need more information!