I hate throwing any building materials away. In fact I’m constantly looking through my husbands “trash” and hoarding supplies that I could repurpose. Such is the story for my Clock project.
I have been wanting to make a clock for some time. I love clocks, not that they have much influence on my lifestyle since I am always late (yes, I’m one of those people), but in home decor I am drawn to them. So it was no surprise when I saw this fun little inspiration, from Pottery Barn, that I had a little lust and envy.
Just so happens the $129 price tag took care of that immediately. A few key things I liked was the wood look, the dotted outside border, and the black numbers. Keeping these things in mind I accumulated things to make my version of the clock.
My Materials: Scrap Lathe (wood pieces from walls in old houses), acrylic paint, silver brads, wood glue, piece of MDF board, clock “guts” and house numbers, hammer, and access to fancy power tools (drill, band saw, and optional other technical tools)
My budget: Less than $10. (MDF $1.) (Brads $2.50) (Numbers 5@.25=1.25) Clock hands ($1.) little time and love
We finished out basement this winter, and in doing so we tore down an old lathe and plaster wall. I scraped all the plaster off about 10 pieces to prep it for paint.
Using off-white acrylic paint I “roughly” painted the tops and sides. When I say roughly I used a foam brush and just put enough paint on the pieces to add some color, not completely covering the wood.
Then I took a piece of MDF board that I purchased from Habitat Re-Store (I’m an addict, just an FYI) for a dollar. My handy husband, who is much more efficient at operating power tools than I, cut a 12″ diameter circle in the MDF and added the “hole thingy” in the back to hang it. Seeing how I wanted mine to hang flush to the wall, and the weight of the MDF was quite heavy, I opted to also have him cut out a piece in the center of the MDF to house the clock guts. I just picked up whatever MDF I could find which ended up being 3/4″ thick. (pardon my lack of knowledge of clock parts- hope this makes sense). Note: I know that the chances of people having the power tool that makes the fancy hanging hole in back is slim. You could easily modify to use saw-tooth picture hanger, or wire across the back to hang.
As you can see, I didn’t want a specific pattern or striped look to the face of the clock, so I used different length and paid attention to where the edges lined up. In order to be sure that the brads held I applied a layer of wood glue to the back of each piece then adhered to the MDF circle. I also drilled little hole to make hammering the brads into the wood/MDF a bit easier. After all the pieces were attached I trimmed down the pieces that were hanging over the edge of the MDF circle.
I found these house numbers at Habitat Re-Store for 25 Cents each. While they didn’t have an entire collection they had enough to convey the style I was looking for. One thing about using house numbers, they were a little big. Fitting all the numbers in was a bit cluttered, so I had to come up with an alternative to make this work. I might suggest a larger clock face.
Trying to find smaller numbers was a challenge so I took it upon myself to free-hand the remaining numbers. I used a black paint-pen. The clock guts (par that makes it work) I had from a clock that died, but I found new hands at a rummage sale. I just painted the hands black to match the numbers.
Liking to these party’s
Home Stories of A to Z: Tutorials & Tips Tuesday
Not Just a Housewife: Show me what you got
The Creative Girl: Something I whipped up
Sugar Bee Crafts: Take a Look Tuesday
Todays Creative Blog: Get your craft on
Someday Crafts: Whatever Goes Wednesday
Miss Mustard Seed: Furniture Friday